WHO WE ARE
Harram Temple was instituted in Port Tampa under the leadership of Noble John R. Hall, Illustrious Potentate in 1896. Here’s a point of history: during this time, they were called Rising Star #23 before the name was changed to Harram #23. Rising Star was moved to Tampa in 1900. Harram Temple No.23 was chartered September 25, 1927. Prince Hall Shrinedom embraces all of the basic fundamental concepts of the Masonic Order, but is more colorful with a broader spectrum of visibility by the manner in which it serves as a charitable non-profit organization and dispenses charity in the community and the care for its own.
On the local level, Harram Temple No.23 Inc. is a non-profit 501(c) (3) organization. Some of the charitable endeavors and programs the Temple is involved with includes the following: support to the Educational/Charity Program, which covers (School Supplies/Book Bags), Temple Youth Program, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Shriners as Mentors Program (SAM), National Diabetes Initiative (NDI), the NAACP Voter Education/Registration Drives and Volunteer Program at the Tampa Metropolitan Ministries. The Temple awards (seven) $500.00 Watts Sanderson, Jr. Memorial/Educational Scholarships annually to selected and deserving college/university bound students, to include vocational/trade school students to help offset and defray any unexpected out of pocket expenses they may incur. Members of the Temple prepare and distribute over 50+ food baskets during their Annual Holiday Food Basket Program for selected less fortunate families in the community. In addition, the Temple sponsors and operate the Annual Clothes Closet Give-a-Way/Distribution Program for those in need of clothing, shoes, toys for children and much more!
Harram Temple #23 always strives to represent our Temple, Desert, and Domain to the best of our ability. Over the previous years, we have been blessed to receive several awards as we would like to thank our Nobles for the hard work and great deeds they have done and continue to do.
- Imperial Council 2009 Temple of the Year – A.E.A.O.N.M.S., Inc.
- Imperial Council Temple Charities Program Grand Champions 2014-2015
- Imperial Council Temple Charities Program Award Winner 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, and 2017
- Desert of Florida 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010 Temple of the Year
- Desert of Florida 2006, 2007, 2013 Potentate of the Year
- Deputy of the Oasis of the Year 2006, 2013
- Desert of Florida 2014 Noble of the Year
- Desert of Florida 2006, 2010 1st Place Mini-Motorized Unit
- Desert of Florida 2007 1st Place Clown Unit
- Desert of Florida 2014 2nd Place Clown Unit